ISSUE DATE: JANUARY 2019
IN THIS ISSUE:
- CURRENT NEWS
- UPCOMING EVENTS NEWS
We have lots of events coming up – don’t miss any of them!
If you would like to make a donation please
CLICK HERE to go to our ActBlue secure donation page.
Every time I’ve written one of these columns, I’ve wanted to headline it, “What a long, strange trip it’s been.” I’ve been able to resist quoting the Grateful Dead so far, but since this will probably be my last one, I can now truthfully say that “strange” doesn’t even begin to describe much of what the country’s gone through the past two years. Unfortunately, “hazardous” and “harmful” are more accurate. While Trump provides the distraction of shutting down the government over a border wall he knows will never be built, his administration’s Environmental Protection Agency is taking aim at an Obama-era regulation that seeks to reduce mercury pollution from coal-fired power plants. He has taken aim at any Obama-era regulation that improves the quality of our lives but doesn’t enrich the bottom line of his 1% pals.
If you ever need motivation to help build on the economic, environmental, education, and health gains that we made with the 2018 mid-terms, just look at the Trump record on the environment. Even the aforementioned border wall would be an environmental disaster, crushing hundreds of miles of fragile desert habitat. No one could have predicted the horrifying consequences of electing a con artist reality star, but here’s one prediction I believe no one can dispute: Even in La Plata County, we must put every resource into assuring continued progressive gains, or the last two years will seem a picnic compared to the strangeness of the next two. Pick your cause and do whatever you can to make it happen, and I’ll see you on the campaign trail.
Jean Walter, Chair, La Plata County Democratic Party
- WHEN: Saturday, January 19, 10:30 am
- WHERE: Gather at the Train Station at 10:30 am.
March starts at 11:00 am – bring signs, kids, friends, supporters!
Rally in Buckley Park, with speakers, at 11:30 am
CLICK HERE to email them.
- Women’s Wave —Building Power! Coordinated with nationwide women’s marches, locally hosted by Indivisible Durango, Planned Parenthood, Universalist Unitarian Church.
- Join with us to celebrate historic gains in legislatures across the country by women, and to generate strength for 2019!
- We can DO this: Let’s Build Together!
- WHEN: Monday, Jan. 21 , 5:30 — 8:00 PM
- WHERE: Manna Soup Kitchen, 1100 Avenida del Sol, Durango 81301
- CONTACT: La Plata Dems
Please join us for our Annual Dinner to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- TICKETS: Adults $20, Students $5,
CLICK HERE to order online
- FACEBOOK: CLICK HERE to view the event.
- CLICK HERE to download our poster.
- PLEASE: Bring a dish to share. If your last name begins with:
- A—G: Salad, Side Dish, Corn Bread,
T—Z: Soups & Chili
SAVE the DATE: The Club, La Plata Democrats on the Move, February Luncheon: Renewable Energy with Tierra Vida Farm
- WHEN: Tuesday, Feb. 5, 12-1:30 PM
- WHERE: Durango Double Tree Hotel
- DETAILS: Join us for lunch with presenters Daniel and Hana Fulmer, owners of Tierra Vida Farm. Daniel and Hana will discuss how regenerative agriculture is a high leverage point in shifting so many destructive patterns in today’s society, including Climate Change.
- TIERRA VIDA FARM is a no-till diversified vegetable farm that produces a large variety of vegetables for CSA and wholesale customers. Daniel & Hana’s motto is healthy soil, healthy food, healthy people. They started farming in their 30’s after having previous careers in natural home construction, solar education, yoga instruction, and functional medicine nutrition.
- TICKETS: $20, CLICK HERE OR RSVP by Feb 1: CLICK HERE
- FACEBOOK: CLICK HERE to view the event
- WHEN: Saturday,Feb 9,
8:30 AM: Registration begins
9:00 AM: Gavel meeting to order
- WHERE: County Administration Building, 1101 East Second Avenue.
jeanwalter08@gmail for more information.
- DETAILS: La Plata County Democratic Party’s biannual Reorganization Meeting will be held Saturday, February 9, County Administration Building, 1101 East Second Avenue. Central Committee members will elect new Party officers and at-large members of the Executive Committee plus Bonus Members (if any) to the State Central Committee.
- Anyone registered as a Democrat in La Plata County can be elected to one of those offices or simply attend the meeting, but only Central Committee members can vote. Central Committee members are Precinct Committeepersons (Precinct Captains), Party officers, and Democratic elected officials who reside in La Plata County. Help the Central Committee vote.
- If you are interested in being elected at the meeting to any Party office (Chair, First Vice Chair of Training, Recruitment, and Public Education, Second Vice Chair of Events and Fundraising, Secretary, Treasurer) or an At-Large position of the Executive Committee, please E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a questionnaire and description of EC committees by January 24. Completed questionnaires will be forwarded to Central Committee members along with the Call to the Reorganization meeting.
- Editor’s Note: We have not asked for interest in the 3rd Vice Chair position because part of the updated bylaws package being presented for approval eliminates the 3rd Vice Chair position.
- WHEN: Saturday May 11, 2017 6:00 PM
- WHERE: Ballroom, Fort Lewis College Student Union
- WHAT: We’re on the way to a stellar Roosevelts Dinner on May 11. We’ve met with Sodexo’s catering director, and she assures us the high bar set for food and service last year will be met or exceeded this year. Everyone with something to contribute for the Silent Auction, please contact
- CONTACT: CLICK HERE to email Carol Cure OR
CLICK HERE to email Jean Walter
The La Plata County Democratic Party distributes information on candidates and candidate events and invites candidates to speak at our party functions because this information is helpful to those who care about political progress. The La Plata County Democratic Party Newsletter includes announcements of events for independent groups and initiatives not affiliated with the Democratic Party. Inclusion here is for information only and does not imply an endorsement.
Thanks for your time and interest!!
Send your newsletter items to email@example.com!
|Subscribe to this newsletter.||Change your name or email||Forward this to a friend|